Gitanmaax is located in Northern British Columbia and is nestled between the junction of the great Skeena and Bulkley Rivers. The Gitanmaax Band is a First Nation organization that operates under the umbrella of the Gitksan Government Commission (GGC) which has a block-funding arrangement with Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC).
Principles and Values
These are the principles and values that the Gitanmaax Band base their Vision and Mission Statement on.
We believe everyone in our community is entitled to:
- Be treated equally
- Respect from others
- Have equal access to programs and services
- Gain self reliance to the best of their abilities
- Be safe in their community
- Be supported in speaking out against injustice and abuse
- Value their families above all else
- Acknowledgement for their lfe experiences
- Share their knowledge and information with others
- Respect for their diversity and individuality
- Uphold the values of Gitxsan traditions which are based on: Respect, caring, sharing and accepting consequences based on one’s own actions or lack of them
- Celebrate and express the joy of successful endeavours and happy times